Monday, June 20, 2016

It's been a while. Well more than a while since I've picked up the "pen" to write anything. It's been a rough couple of years. Finding out my mom had stage four cancer and her subsequent passing really took the wind out of my sails creatively. You don't realize how important someone is in your life until they are gone. My mom was my number one fan. It didn't matter what I was involved in, or how bad I sucked at it. She was still proud of me. It makes me smile to think about how she would grab my arm, squeeze, and give me words of encouragement. Oh how I miss her smile and giving her big hugs.

It's been over a year now that moms been gone. The pain that I feel is still strong, however, I find myself smiling at memories more than crying lately. This weekend my wife and I set out to hit the garage sales in our town. This was something my mom and dad lived for during the summer. Mom could find the best deals. At several of the stops, I found items that I knew my mom would have been interested in. It shook me up a little at first. The memories of calling to see if she wanted me to pick something up. I managed to hold it together and instead smile at the thought of how mom would have reacted to the nugget I had found. It was good.

I've experienced death in many ways. I've lost grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends, and as an EMT patients. However, nothing can prepare you for the loss of a parent. I thank God that I'm healing and recovering my desire to write creatively. Hopefully, I can get back in the saddle again.


-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment