Monday, April 1, 2013

The Joy of Buying a Car

Car buying... Some people love it... Some people loath it. I am one of those crazy people that loves to negotiate a car deal. I didn't used to be that way. I used to HATE it. (Yes hate with all CAPS) Now.. I get straight up fired up when I get to work a car deal. 

My son turns 16 in a few months, so I've started my homework on cars. Checking prices, seeing what trade values are, blue book values, black book values, and using the Internet to gain intel. I can't stress enough that you need to be educated when you go to buy your car. If you don't know your stuff... the dealer will feast on your wallet. 

Couple of pointers:

1. DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CAR/TRUCK/SUV/VAN (Whatever it is)!
This is HUGE!!!! If you fall in love with it, the dealer will sense it like a shark smells blood in the water and will eat you alive. Remember, the manufacture of your precious car made THOUSANDS of the same one and there are HUNDREDS of dealers within driving distance that likely have the same selection of cars for a better price.

2. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
KNOW what your car is worth. KNOW what the car your buying is worth. Have financing in place before hand if possible.

3. DON'T LET THEM KEEP YOU THERE FOR HOURS.
They are trying to wear you down. 

4. MAKE DEALER COMPETE FOR YOUR MONEY.
Find similar cars at different dealers and call them both. Don't be afraid to tell the other.. Hey, XYZ is willing to give me $1000.00 more for my trade in.

5. BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY AND KEEP LOOKING. 
Eventually you'll find/catch a dealer ready to deal because he's had a bad month.

I wish I could say that I came up with all of these on my own. Alas, that is not the case. I learned everything I know about negotiating a car deal from www.carbuyingtips.com. I highly recommend you check out this site if you are going to buy a new or used car. They will help you to see through the smoke and mirrors of car buying and get the best deal.

Again... That's www.carbuyingtips.com

Good luck and good hunting!


-Red
Twitter @MortisG187

Email Jeff at author@jeffjake.com

No comments:

Post a Comment