Saturday, April 20, 2013

Oblivion

My wife and I caught the movie Oblivion today. I'm lucky to have a wife that likes that type of movie. Otherwise, I'd be watching a lot of stuff by myself. 

If you haven't heard about the movie. Here's what IMDb has to say about it:

"A veteran assigned to extract Earth's remaining resources begins to question what he knows about his mission and himself."

To expand on that a bit, the story you are given at the beginning of the movie is that an alien race destroys our moon. The ensuing destruction lays waste to most of the worlds cities. ( Massive quakes, tsunami's, etc. ) After the planet is ravaged by natural disaster, the aliens invade. We win the war, but loose the planet. As a result, the human race moves off world to a moon around Saturn, Titan. The remaining crew is there to watch over the removal of water and resources. They also maintain the drones that continue to look for the remnants of the aliens that invaded.

The special effects for the show are top notch and the story drew me in right away. It was easy to become endeared to the characters and he drawn into their story. From the beginning you get the sense that something  is off. The movie does a good job of stringing you along without revealing what that is. 

While I liked the movie, I can see why critics on Fandango are saying it's so-so. It's my guess that most felt that it moved too slow. I, however, enjoyed the unfolding story and liked the suspenseful build-up to the end. I'm sure that the ending chaffed some folks as well. (I know this first hand, because it did so with my wife.)

Bottom line, I would give the film 4 out of 5 stars. It will be in my DVD collection when it comes out. 

The movie has some good action, but not to the level that you would expect from the TV spots. They take their time with building the characters and telling the story. So, relax and settle in for a great sic-fi story.

Here is a link to the IMDb page for the movie where you can see the cast, read about it, and watch the trailer. 


-Red

No comments:

Post a Comment