Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28th, 1979

It's a late one for me today. As I write this it's 11:24pm on the 28th. Sorry. I took the day off work today and spent the day with my family. We went and caught the new movie G.I. Joe: Retaliation and did a little shopping. It was a good day. Oh and the movie.... I give it 3 1/2 stars.

So enough about my day.

Today marks the 34 year anniversary of the Three Mile Island incident. On this date in 1979, a pressure valve on the unit 2 reactor fails to close and the core begins to overheat. At one point the reactor reaches 4000 degrees, only 1000 degrees away from a full blown melt down. Over the next few days, various other issues caused releases of radioactive material.


Here is a link to the full story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_Nuclear_Generating_Station







-Red

No comments:

Post a Comment