Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Explosives... Yeah... They're Cool

Back several years ago, my dad and grandpa took me to see two buildings in St. Louis brought down by explosives. I remember it like it was yesterday. I would rank it up in my top 20 coolest things I've ever seen. I've tried to find pictures or video of the implosion, but haven't had any luck.

We stood on the street for quite a while. I remember people getting antsy because the implosion was running late. Several guys with camera's standing by us talked about how they would have to wait for just a few seconds before they started shooting. The auto winders on their cameras would burn through the film in just under five seconds.

Just when we had about given up on the whole thing. A guy to our left starts counting down. Five... four... three... We were like who the heck does this guy think he is? Two... one... Multiple explosions made everyone jump. The ground vibrated from the detonations. We all turned back to the buildings and watched as they slowly started to twist. And then they both came straight down. Whamo!

Next thing we see is a wall of rolling dust coming at us... I remember my dad saying, "Time to go." LOL. We did an about face and headed back to the car. Yep one of the coolest days ever.

What brought this up was a video I saw of a bridge being demoed. Here is the link to the video and another link to a cool compilation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/18/bridge-blows-up-marble-falls-texas-video_n_2900681.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eem7d58gjno


-Red
www.jeffjake.com
www.facebook.com/jeffreyrjake
Twitter @MortisG187

Email Jeff at author@jeffjake.com

No comments:

Post a Comment