Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Battleship

Several years ago we took a family vacation to see my brother-in-law and his family in Mobile Alabama. While we were there, we visited the science center, the beach, and Dauphin Island. However, my favorite stop was the USS Alabama Memorial Park.

You see I'm a bit of a WWII buff. So for me, getting to set foot on a piece of history like that, well let's just say I had a bit of a nerdgasim. In addition to the battleship, the park also has a submarine, multiple aircraft (Including an SR71 Blackbird), and tanks. Oh and a B52 bomber... Sorry just about had another nerdgasim.




In addition to being just plain cool all by itself, the USS Alabama was also used in the film Under Siege with Steven Seagal.

I can't impart to you how incredible it is to walk onto such an impressive vessel. To see the 16 inch guns up close. To sit in the gunners chair. To stand on the bridge. It's overwhelming. My son was about five years old when we toured the Alabama. I have a picture of him hugging a 16 inch shell from one of the main guns. He can't even get his arms around the projectile and it stood almost two feet taller than him at the time.

Anyway, my point is, if you like history (WWII history in particular), you should try to make time to go see the USS Alabama if you're in the area. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Here is some info on her history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Alabama_(BB-60)

Here is the parks web site:
http://www.ussalabama.com

I leave you with this picture of the park -

Awesome... I know

-Red
www.jeffjake.com
www.facebook.com/jeffreyrjake
Twitter @MortisG187


No comments:

Post a Comment